Archives for the month of: June, 2011

Wow, I’ve been waiting a long time to post these images!!!  I started working with Hasbro back in April of 2009.  They commissioned me to work on their relaunch of the GI Joe figure line.  The company wanted to update the look and feel of the packaging to be a bit more edgy to match the upcoming,(At the Time)”Rise of Cobra” film.  Over the next eight months, I painted eleven individual Joe and Cobra characters to be used as box art.

Cobra Star Viper Action Figure

Hasbro provided photos of the prototype toy above for me to use as reference.

Pose and Drawing

For all of the characters that I painted, I first took a couple of digital picts to decide on the pose and lighting.  After illustrating about nine guys, I finally got wise and picked up a large Sideshow Collectibles figure for reference (MUCH BETTER!) Once the client signed off on my pose, the line drawing was next.

This was my first character and just happened to be the most challenging.  He had to define the style I would use for everyone else, so I really wanted to go all out with the level of detail.  What took me a while to figure out was the helmet.  As you can see from the toy, there are several angles so it was more of a technical drawing than I am use to.  It took me a while, but I eventually got it.

Working Paint

I wanted this guy to have a ton of textures on the various gear he is wearing. The one thing I knew early on was I wanted his boots to have a Darth Vader look to them.  They needed a High gloss Playstation 3 type of finish.  Since this was the only thing I was sure about early on in my render, I did his boots first.  Once they were done, the rest started to fall in place.

Working Star Viper Paint.

Finished  Star Viper Art(Click for Larger View).

G.I. JOE®©2011 Hasbro, Inc. Used with Permission


Here are the final images. The entire painting took me about a week. Once this one was completed the rest went a bit quicker. The software used was Corel Painter 11 and Photoshop CS 5. All my paints were done with Painter, and Photoshop was used for color tweaking and CMYK conversion.

GI Joe Star Card

Somewhere along the line the direction for the toy line changed and all of my guys fell into a two year limbo. I’m still not certain which ones made it to store shelves or not. However, Hasbro is an AWESOME client so it’s all good! I’ll be posting more images as I get the approvals.

In the mean time, here is a sneak preview of my reference for “Snake Eyes.”

One thing I hate are nda’s(non disclosure agreements). Seems like 99% of the work I have done in the past few years had an nda attached to it! Basically meaning I get to work on an incredibly cool project, only I can’t talk about it for a really long time.

That was the case for this art I did for the new X-Men movie. The painting I created was part of a pitch Gravillis Inc. presented to the movie producers. I work on these types of projects all the time.

Every once in a while I will have a piece approved like the “Youth in Revolt” film and my piece becomes the “official” poster art.  More often than not, it becomes one of many pieces of pretty cool art that never sees the light of day, like my work for “Notorious, and First Sunday.”  That was the case with this piece, however now that the film is out… I’m showing it here.

The concept for the poster was presented to me by the owner of the agency and I was responsible for the render.

Reference:  Uniform from the Marvel comic.

The early stage of my painting:

The Client wanted a close crop “hero image” of one of the mutants in uniform.  The costume is so iconic that this would have been a very powerful image in my opinion and also a great teaser for the film.  I personally liked the idea of not knowing which character this would be, rather than spoon feeding the entire cast to the viewers.

Here is my final illustration:  (click to enlarge)

As you can see the style was heavily influenced by artist Alex Ross.  I have mentioned before, I am a huge fan of his work.  However, unlike Alex… I like the X-men!  I wanted the textures and belt to really pop on the uniform since the design is rather simple.

Even though my piece wasn’t used, this was an incrediblly fun project to work on, and I’m happy to add it to my portfolio.  Every time I have an excuse to work on a Superhero painting I am a happy guy.  Please feel free to comment!